Thursday, March 10, 2011

PCOS and Infertility

One of the main issues with PCOS is the Infertility that it causes. Women that want kids so badly struggle with not being able to bear a child or have to go through so many fertility treatments they eventually give up. I myself am getting ready to start the journey of fertility. I had always told myself that I did not want children and was completely content with my nieces and nephews running around.
Read more on that here.

For a while I was right in saying this, but then my husband came along. I am completely happy in my life right now but we want nothing more than to have a child to share our love with.  So off to the doctors I go to find out what exactly needs to be done for me to have a child.

Enough on my life this get on with some facts about this issue.

With PCOS it is likely that you will have 9 or fewer menstrual cycles per year. This is a result of your ovaries not producing hormones to keep your cycle normal. Because you are not having a normal period of course you are not ovulating to become pregnant.

During the beginning of a normal menstrual cycle several follicles develop, each of them contains an egg. As your cycle continues you will be left with only one follicle. This follicle with produce the egg during ovulation. Once it has matured, LH levels will cause the egg to burst from the follicle causing ovulation.

Women with PCOS produce excessive androgen (male) hormones due to insulin resistance. Because of the excess male hormones being produced it affects the production of female hormones needed for ovulation. Therefore there is not enough hormones being produced to cause any of the follicles to mature. They may grow and collect fluid but none become large enough for ovulation. Some of these follicles may develop into cysts.

I go back to the doctor in April and she will likely be putting me on Provera to force a period. We had also talked about trying Femara so my best guess is after I have a menstrual cycle I will start it.

Until Next Time,
AAJ

No comments:

Post a Comment