Wednesday, January 19, 2011

What is PCOS?

So you may be asking yourself the question. What is PCOS or Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome? When first diagnosed I asked myself the same thing over and over again.

PCOS ~ a common female endocrine disorder affecting approximately 5%-10% of women in the reproductive age (12-45 years of age) and is thought to be one of the leading causes of infertility.
This is the answer that I received and did not find very comforting. I guess you could say that it did not sit well with me at first. I continued to do my research to find out as much about this as I possibly could. After all you want to be able to tell the person that you fall in love with that you may not be able to bear him children and why, right.

What causes PCOS was the next thing that I really wanted to know so there I was researching. There is not a real answer as to what causes it. You will find several different things that it is linked to, but no direct answer as to what causes it. The most common explanation is a change in hormone levels. There is various reasons as to what could cause this change.  PCOS also seems to run in the family, it can be passed down from either the mother or fathers side.  More on this next time.

AAJ

No comments:

Post a Comment