Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Hirsutism

So you may be asking yourself, exactly what is Hirsutism? Well, it actually effects about 10% of all women. I know, I know that's a pretty low percentage. Well I just happen to be part of that 10% so to me its not so low.

Per Wikipedia;
Hirsutism is the excessive hairiness on humans in those parts of the body where terminal hair does not normally occur or is minimal - for example, a beard or chest hair. It refers to a male pattern of body hair (androgenic hair) and it is therefore primarily of cosmetic and psychological concern. Hirsutism is a symptom rather than a disease and may be a sign of a more serious medical condition, especially if it develops well after puberty.

Layman's Terms;
Excessive hair growth in areas where hair does not typically grow on women.....chest, back, face, etc. The medical term for excessive hair growth is Hypertrichosis.


What causes Hirsutism?
The answer remains the same as with Androgenic Alopecia, increased level of Androgen Hormones (male hormones)
I previously spoke about Insulin Resistance in my post about The Dreaded Endocrinologist. After doing more and more research here is what I have found, it is speculated that if your insulin level remains at a high enough concentration for an extended period of time it can cause your ovarian theca cells to produce androgen's. There is also evidence proving that women with higher levels of insulin are more likely to develop hirsutism.  Well women with PCOS have high insulin levels, so the fact that you will develop hirsutism is no surprise.

There are several different medications that can be given to treat hirsutism. I currently am taking; Metformin: Antihyperglycemic drug used for diabetes mellitus. However, it is also effective in treatment of hirsutism associated with insulin resistance.

I am actually taking the Metformin for other reasons as well which I will report on later.

Wishing to be Hairless,
AAJ

No comments:

Post a Comment