Tuesday, February 8, 2011

More on PCOS

In my last blog about PCOS, I ended stating that I would report more on it being inherited. It appears that there is a genetic component to PCOS and believed that you may be born with the predisposition to acquiring later in life. The following is the words of Samuel S. Thatcher, MD, PhD, F.A.C.O.G;
PCOS is a "final common pathway" of a variety of disorders and the diagnosis PCOS itself remains one of exclusion. It is a near universal finding that PCOS is genetic, but the heritage is complex. This genetic predisposition is not as simple as brown eyes or blue, but has a complex heritage. The tendency to develop PCOS may be inherited from either the mother's side, (maternal origin), from the father's side (paternal origin), or from both sides. A paternal origin is equally likely, but often is overlooked.

There are several symptoms or "side effects" of PCOS. Unfortunately I have just about every single one of them. Today we are only going to talk about 2 of them:
Excess hair growth (hirsutism) 
For most PCOS sufferers, hair in the mustache and beard areas becomes heavier and darker. Masculine hair on the arms and legs is also possible, as well as hair on the abdomen, chest or back, together with extra growth in the pubic area. High levels of male hormones (androgen's) cause this condition.
I am sure you are wondering if this is my chin and neck. Yes unfortunately it is. No it does not always look like this as I either shave or wax it but this was taken for the purpose of showing you this side effect.


Again this is also my upper lip and chin.

Male pattern baldness (androgenic alopecia)
Women with PCOS have problems with thinning scalp hair, known as androgenic alopecia. This is usually due to the high levels of androgen's which are found in up to 40 to 70% of women with PCOS. Just as testosterone can cause a male to lose their hair, abnormally high levels in women will have the same effect. The big difference between hair loss in a male and androgenic alopecia in women with PCOS is that in women with PCOS, the hair follicle remains alive. This increases the chance that hair loss therapy will work and cause new hair growth

Yes this is the top of my head.

At one point in my life I had a full head of long, thick, natural curly hair. The above picture is what I am left with. I can still however grow my hair long but because it is so thin on top I chose not to.

SO in doing so more research tonight on PCOS and androgenic alopecia I learned something new. I was not aware that the hair follicles remain alive and that there is a chance I could possibly regrow my hair. This is very exciting news and something that I will likely be talking with my Dr about when I go back in April.

Thanks for stopping by and learning more on PCOS. Next time I will talk about some of the other symptoms.

AAJ





2 comments:

  1. Great information. I am really learning a lot about PCOS.

    Laura's Last Post: Lord I want patience and I need it right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are enjoying!! Hope all is well, Love Ya

    ReplyDelete