Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Male pattern baldness (androgenic alopecia)

Okay so I wrote about this yesterday a little. But today I would like to go into a little bit more detail about it and how this affects my everyday life. As I reported once upon a time in my life I had a full head of thick hair. As shown in the following picture which was taken in 1998.

1998

I guess it was approximately 3-4 years later was when I was told I had PCOS.  After finding out about PCOS my hair slowly start to get thin. I could probably show pictures through out the years but its not of that much importance. It's funny how my hair did not actually start thinning until being told that I had something wrong with me. OH WELL


2011

Now in 2011 as you can tell I am pretty much bald on top. For a long time I left my hair long thinking that fixing it certian ways would cover just how thin it was. My hair being so thin actually did not bother me as much as it did my mother and grandmother. I was not self concious about it at all. Really the only time I ever remember it bothering me was on my wedding day. That was the one day that I did not want to have my bald head showing. My hair dresser did an amazing job making sure that it did not. Other than that I figured you liked me for me and what my hair looks like should not matter. Well in October of 2010 after telling me for about a year that she was going to, my grandmother bought me my 1st wig from Paula Young.

At first I was like okay I will wear this thing every once in awhile if I go out somewhere or something. What I did not realize is that by my grandmother buying my 1st wig, was going to start something expensive. I went on to purchase 3 more wigs in the month of November. What I love so much about wear wigs is the ease of just being about to put it on and go. You don't have to stand in the mirror for hours fixing your hair making sure it looks right. What I hate about wearing them is they are HOT!!! But anything for beauty, RIGHT.

It is so fun being able to basically change your hair style on a daily basis. People who havent seen you in a while have to look twice. Its actually pretty funny. I will never forget the 1st time I went out to a Eastern Star meeting with my wig on and the reactions I received. These people pretty much see me once a month and it was just funny to see how they reacted.

Here is something that I found interesting while researching Androgenic Alopecia, its something that I may have to try.

Saw palmetto is a popular herbal remedy for a type of hair loss and baldness called androgenic alopecia, or male- and female-pattern baldness. This type of hair loss is typically the greatest at the top of the head or around the temples.

Although we still don't know exactly how it works, it's believed that it may block an enzyme (5-alpha-reductase) from allowing the hormone testosterone from being converted to another hormone, dihydrotestosterone. Dihydrotestosterone is considered a key contributing factor to the onset and progression of androgenic alopecia and benign prostatic hyperplasia.
Hope you have enjoyed learning about this.

AAJ

No comments:

Post a Comment